Free Online Accent Assessment
Instructions for Free Assessment
1. Click “Start Recording” - keep in mind you have 5 minutes to record so you don't need to feel rushed to get through all of the script below.
2. Use the script below to make your recording. Don’t try to sound better than you usually do. Speak as naturally as possible. Pretend you are talking to a friend.
3. When you have completed the script, click “stop”.
4. Enter your name and email.
5. Click “Send” to submit your recording.
Please allow 5-7 business days for me to assess your recording and get back to you with my recommendations for how you can learn the General American English Accent.
Answer These Questions Out Loud:
1. What is your name?
2. Where are you from and what is your native language?
3. What is today’s date?
4. What is your favorite food and how do you like it to be prepared?
5. Why do you want to improve your speech? (this helps you stay motivated!)
6. Can you think of a few words that are difficult for you to pronounce?
Read The Following Passage Out Loud:
English is thought to be the third most commonly spoken language on Earth. It is estimated that as of 2013, approximately 1 in 3 people speak English on a regular basis.
The English language is constantly growing and changing. Words in the English vocabulary have been taken from over 350 other languages. Rather than hurting the language, these additions allow us to be more expressive.
Read These Facts Out Loud:
The longest word without a true vowel letter is “rhythms”.
The longest word with only one vowel is “strengths”.
There are no words in English that rhyme with either “orange” or “silver”.
Now Just Talk For 1-2 Minutes:
Talk about what is going on in your life right now. Talk about your family, what you do for work, your hobbies, what you did last weekend...
It does not have to be interesting.
Script used with permission from The Accent Channel.